Gifts from Revocable Trusts

Custodianship - 2503(c) Trust - Crummey Trust

Gifts from Revocable Trusts:

If you hold assets as trustee of a revocable trust, you should not make gifts directly from your trust. Instead, these gifts require two separate steps. First, you should change title to the property (including cash) from the trustee’s name to your name individually. Second, you then may give the property to the donee. While cumbersome, this two-step process will minimize the risk that gifts made within three years of your death will be taxed in your estate.

Minors (persons under 18 years of age)

Generally, unless you give assets to the minor outright (you have an extremely responsible young person) you would utilize one of the following vehicles:

  1. Custodianship: You may create a custodianship by designating an adult as custodian for the minor to receive the gift under the California Uniform Transfers to Minors Act ("CUTMA"). The custodian controls the management of the gifted property and determines whether to make distributions for the minor until the minor attains age 18, 21 or 25. At age 18, 21 or 25, the minor must receive whatever property is held by the custodian. You may create a custodianship simply by transferring cash or other property to the adult as follows:

    "Adult’s name, as custodian for Minor’s name, until age (18-25), under the California Uniform Transfers to Minor’s Act."

    For income tax purposes the custodianship property belongs to the minor, and the minor must file income tax returns. No tax returns need by filed by the custodian.

  2. 2503(c) Trust: You may establish a trust that in effect terminates when the minor reaches age 21. At that age (or before), the trust must either terminate automatically or give the minor the right to withdraw all of the trust property from the trust during a 60-day "window". You may provide that, if the minor does not withdraw the trust property, the trust will continue for a further period specified in the trust instrument. This trust sometimes is called a "2503(c) trust" or a "Minor’s Trust". The trust offers the following advantages over a custodianship:

    a. The trust’s income is taxable to the trust rather than to the minor, which at least may be advantageous for minors under age 15, who are generally taxed at the parent’s tax rate; and

    b. The trust is "on track" to continue beyond the minor’s 21st birthday unless the minor elects to withdraw the property.

    (For income tax purposes, the trust is a separate taxpayer with a taxpayer identification number (like a social security number), and files its own income tax return each year.

  3. Crummey Trust: A trust called a "Crummey Trust" after the first taxpayer to use this trust, is not limited to use by minors and may be used for gifts in trust for a beneficiary of any age. The unique characteristic of this trust is that, any time you give property to the trust, the minor (or minor’s guardian) must have the right to withdraw the contribution during a 30 - 60 day window; if the minor does not withdraw the trust property, the gift becomes final and is locked in the trust until the trust terminates at an age specified by you in the original instrument. The Crummey trust offers the following advantages:

    a. Although the minor has a right to withdraw any contribution, this right is rarely exercised; and

    b. Unlike the custodianship and 2503(c) trust, the minor has no right at age 18 or 21 to receive the property, and the trust continues for as long as specified in the instrument (even for the minor’s lifetime.)

    (For income tax purposes, this trust is treated more like a custodianship than a 2503(c) trust. Although the trust is a separate taxpayer with a taxpayer identification number and files a simple "grantor" tax return, the trust’s income tax consequences flow to the minor, who must file income tax returns.
Areas of Practice:
Business Organizations
Business Torts
Commercial Law & Contracts
Intellectual Property
Mergers & Acquisitions
Science, Computers, & Tech
Wills & Trusts
Estate Planning In San Jose

About Us:
We take pride in providing personalized legal services for your individual or business needs. Our practice includes: business start up and funding, business buying and selling, business succession planning, business reorganization, estate planning, power of attorney, end of life decisions, lawsuit protection and debt settlement or consolidation. We are also intellectual property attorneys with experience in electrical, software, mechanical and biotech technologies.
About Tony Delas


This website is intended for educational and informational purposes only. The information contained on this website is not intended as a source of legal advice. You should not act upon or rely on information at this or any other website without the advice of competent counsel, especially if you reside outside the State of California, where we are not licensed to practice law and don't give advice. This information may not have been updated to reflect subsequent changes in the law, if any. Your particular facts and circumstances, and any changes in the law, must be considered to determine appropriate legal advice. Always consult with a competent attorney, licensed in your state, to discuss your particular situation. Nothing provided by this website is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Sending e-mail to this firm or to an attorney at this firm will not create an attorney-client relationship, i.e., it does not mean that we have agreed to represent you. This website is intended for educational and informational purposes only.
©Copyright 2012-2015 T.D. Law All Rights Reserved Top of Page ©Janssen & Associates 2012 Janssen & Associates